One of the most essential pieces of gear you should always have with you is a knife. Not just any knife either, but a Cold Steel SRK, one of the best survival knives on planet Earth. A Versatile knife to withstand the most extreme abuse. This knife is a stainless steel beauty, with great grip that doesn’t slip even when wet.
Watch Demonstration Video: HERE
Why do you need a survival knife?
Having a knife with you against the elements greatly enhances your well being in some of the most difficult terrain and challenging circumstances. When you have a reliable knife, you are increasing your chances of survival because you will be capable of building shelter, hunting and defending yourself against possible animal threat if necessary.
Key Elements of a Survival Knife
- Tang – the part of the blade that extends into the handle, which increases the strength of the knife.
- Handle – a good grip on a handle goes a long way in bad weather conditions.
- Sheath – ability to cover your knife and protect yourself and others from accidents.
- Blade – stainless steel and carbon are the best factors to have for your blade’s inner make-up and outer design.
- Note – you don’t want to have a folding knife if you are expected to venture out into the wilderness. Not that a folding knife won’t help you, it’s simply a wiser choice to go with a non-folding knife because they are built stronger and are more durable for severe conditions.
Your Survival Knife May Be Used for the Following Reasons:
- Starting fires
- Food Preparing
There are other possibilities for what you may use the Cold Steel SRK survival knife for depending on the situation.
What to Keep In Mind When Purchasing A Survival Knife in General:
Now that you are more aware of the reasons why it’s a good idea to have a survival knife with you at all times, it’s also important to know what aspects to look for while making your decision as to which knife you should buy.
Tips to Consider:
- Ask yourself the question: “What do I plan on using my knife for?” The answer to that question will give you the basis of what follows next.
- Read Reviews. Sounds obvious but often overlooked and there is some good information you can find specifically on knives on some great websites like kniferating.com, bladereviews.com or reviews on amazon based on the specific knife you are looking to learn more about. It’s a good idea to read what other non-professional consumers think of the item you may or may not pick up.
- Expect to spend a minimum of at least $100 if you wish to get yourself a really solid piece of knife gear.
- Sometimes a knife in theory is great but in practicality is a different story. When visiting a knife shop, be sure to actually hold the knife in our hands and get a feel for it. Does it feel like a good fit?
- Make sure the knife you want won’t be a pain in the neck to sharpen. Being able to sharpen your knife gives the knife longevity and saves you a bit of time if you need to sharpen her up when you’re out in the field.
The Cold Steel SRK Survival Knife is a knife that passes all of the aforementioned check points we wrote about in this article above. Having given you a general overview for knife purchasing, we highly recommend your consideration of the SRK.
- Blade measures 6-Inch
- Overall measurement is 10 3/4-Inch
- Weighs 8.2 ounce
- Includes steel of VG-1 San Mai III
- This item is not for sale in some specific zip codes