Rory Bushfield is a triple threat. He’s a Canadian professional skier, philanthropist, and a film/reality star. With his charming personality and undeniable raw talent, it’s no mystery how he was able to captivate the hearts of millions of fans around the world. As such, it’s comes as no surprise that he did the same when we interviewed him.
1. Can you tell me a little bit about your background in skiing?
I was born in Calgary Alberta, about an hour drive from the edge of the Rocky Mountains. My parents taught me to ski before I can remember. I skied with my sister until I was about 12. That was when I joined the delirium mogul skiing club at Sunshine Village just outside of Banff. It was there that Geoff Styles, Linda Vaughn, Mike Weight, and Jeff Tathem taught me how to hit a jump properly and ski moguls. Those where the basics for all the ski skills I have today. Of course there where a lot of other people that taught me a lot, but those where my first ski influences from true skiers.
2. You have an impressive list of achievements. You won a gold medal at the 2002 Planet X Winter Games Freeskiing Championship, finished 6th in slope style at the US Freestyle Open, and became the first celebrity champion to win the ABC diving show, Splash! To date, what has been your proudest achievement?
I’m a very proud Canadian…In 2002, I won the junior world championships in Finland. It was the first time I had ever won anything. I drank water out of my trophy in the airport by myself because I had to catch a flight. It was cool to take something home for Canada.
3. How did it feel to be the first skier to successfully land a 1080 in Half-Pipe competition?
That felt awesome! It was so easy too. I can’t believe nobody thought about it. Lol
4. How did you get started in filming and working with the freeskiing film production company, Matchstick Productions?
Both my friend, Jon Mcmurrey, and my good friend, Seb Paridis (Oakley rep at the time), introduced me. I filmed with Murrey Wais on the first day and I got a shot sliding this weird battleship looking rail. The boys at MSP and I got along really good from the start. Those guys are rad. I feel so lucky that I got to work with them. I am always stoked to go on an MSP shoot. No matter what it is!
5. You started the Sarah Burke Foundation in honor of your late wife. Can you tell me a little bit about her and the foundation?
The Sarah Burke foundation is just a way for Sarah’s friends and family to give back. Sarah always did. So we do too.
6. How was your experience touring with Travis Pastrana’s global traveling Nitro Circus Live Tour?
Traveling with the Nitro Crew was pretty incredible. They live a different life! Lol. Bodily injury is treated the way it should be with a “harden the fuck up” kind of attitude. It was an absolute treat to get to throw down with such incredible, fearless athletes!
7. What’s in store for you in the future?
Right now I’m lining things up for a TV show. I plan to just keep knocking things off my to-do list. Lots of it I can’t really talk about…The future looks fun though. That’s for sure!
8. Our website focuses on the theme of adventure and memorable life experiences. How would you define “adventure” in your own words?
Adventure means uncertainty in my eyes. It’s not fun if you know exactly how everything will unfold and there is no possibility of surprise. Just trying to catch my dog, Dextor, can be an adventure sometimes.
9. What do you do when no one’s watching?
Talk to Billy
10. Can you make up a word and its definition?
Intallahydro – A pill that makes you smarter, stronger and turns your bones to steel. It also causes you to grow gills so you can breath under water. It’s pretty sweet. My science team is working on it right now. It also comes in a peanut butter form so you can just spread it on your toast or put it in your smoothie.
11. Scenario: Oh Snap! The dance floor just opened up, time to impress everyone with your ____________.
I recently learned the worm from my ten year old neighbor. I would probably do that. Who wouldn’t be impressed by a guy doing the worm on a dirty floor covered in broken glass.
You’re right Rory. We would definitely be impressed – and to top it off, you got Intallahydro in the works?! Sign us up for the waiting list.